The Hokies held their third 40-play informal scrimmage of spring practice Wednesday and saw an improved passing game. Tyrod Taylor and Ju-Ju Clayton put up impressive numbers during the scrimmage. Taylor during the traditional scrimmage and Clayton during situational drills.
Taylor was 6-for-9 through the air for 82 yards and threw a 14-yard touchdown to Dyrell Roberts. The tight ends stole the show during the traditional scrimmage with Greg Boone and Chris Drager combining for 76 yards on five catches.
This is a big improvement for Taylor, who struggled with the passing game in previous scrimmages.
It was the first scrimmage for Clayton since being named Tech's backup quarterback. He showed his appreciation by completing all three of his pass attempts for 70 yards and two touchdowns. One of the touchdowns was to Marcus Davis who was moved to wide receiver this week after competing for the No. 2 job with Clayton.
Taylor and Clayton will try to carry their momentum from Wednesday into Saturday's spring game. It's a good sign for Taylor to be finding a rhythm through the air. However, it might be a bad sign that he's having to rely heavily on the tight ends.
Fork Union Military Academy offensive tackle Mark Shuman committed to the Hokies Wednesday. Shuman is the brother of Ryan Shuman, who was a senior center on last year's team.
Mark is a lot taller than his 6-3 brother, standing at 6-6, 285. He was one of the top offensive line recruits in the state by the RTD and is an big addition to Tech's next recruiting class.
Shuman chose Tech over UVa, WVU, Tennessee, UNC, and NC State among others.
Lacrosse Tournament Comes to the 'Burg
The 2009 ACC women's lacrosse tournament starts Thursday in Blacksburg. The Hokies will open the tournament as the No. 5 seed and face UVa at 1 p.m. at Thompson Field.
The semifinals will be Friday and the championship game will be at 1 p.m. Sunday and be televised on a handful of regional sports networks.
- Who is VT's biggest draft bust? (The North End Zone)
Atlantic Coast Conference
- Jeff and Brian play over/under on BC's spring game. The o/u on how many times Jeff is chided for leaving the toilet seat up this week is 2.5. (BCI)
- One of the more mind-blowing DSOTs I've seen. (Block-C)
- A look at UNC's running back situation. (Annette)
Stuff Only I Care About
- ECU gets prematurely assessed. (Dr Saturday)
- That DH couldn't have gone any better. (Ian Browne)
- Bucky Gleason chastises Buffalo fans for cheering for their teams. (Die by the Blade)
- That. Was awesome (even if I'm rooting for the 'Hawks). (NHL)