Think Hokies fans are excited for the 2009 season? An assumed school record 41,000 fans were estimated by the school at Saturday's spring game. According to Giggity it was the most of any ACC school.
Virginia Tech 40,000
Florida State 36,000
N.C. State 21,075
Georgia Tech 8,500
Miami, Wake Forest and Boston College did not give attendance figures for their respective spring games. Safe to say if it was near Virginia Tech's neighborhood, we would have heard about it.
That's huge for the Hokies. Most of our fans live about five hours from Blacksburg in Eastern and Northern Virginia.
Capacity at Lane Stadium is 66,233. The 41,000 estimated by Tech to be at the spring game represents 62 percent of capacity. No, it's not the 95k at Ohio Stadium this year or the 92k at Bryant-Denny in 2007. But it's a good sign of the healthy of the program that so many were willing to drive so far for a scrimmage in Blacksburg.
Annette Finally Asks the Tough Questions
Back when Annette interviewed Bryan Stinespring, I pointed out that she never asked him about how he's taking the criticism from Tech fans. Well, today she had a very long story where she asked that question of damn near everyone in the athletics department.
"You cannot say you're completely immune to things," [Stinespring] said. "It's hard to be in this time and age. It really comes from the subtleties of it. When people say things like, 'Hey man, keep your head up,' that's a reminder that there's this going on, or there's that going on."
You can add Stinespring to the list of coaches Annette is trying to placate in print. But she did raise valid questions about the offense and Stinespring's future if the O falls on its face this year. To her credit, that's a helluva lot more than she's been willing to do with Paul Johnson and David Cutcliffe.
While Bud Foster may be padding Stiney's resume to some extent, it's obvious he doesn't deserve to be criticized as fiercely as he has been. He lacks as a play-caller, particularly in late situations. But he's a good recruiter and runs the offense Frank Beamer feels gives the team the best chance to win. The system isn't going to change. But the quality of players in it sure has and for the better.
From the story, it's clear no one on the staff is blaming the offense for Virginia Tech not going undefeated every season like some people believe they should.
Beamer and Curry Finish Second
Frank Beamer and Dell Curry lost a playoff to Steve Spurrier and Sterling Sharpe at the CFA Bowl Golf Challenge Tuesday. The two teams were 12-under after 18. It came down to a closest-to-the-pin contest which the team from South Carolina won.
It was the second consecutive win for Spurrier and Sharpe. Beamer and Curry won in 2007. Friggin' SEC wins everything.
The Barnhart has a story on how seriously the coaches take this thing.
2nd Round Predictin'
I was horrible in round one. Round two will be no different.
Bruins over Hurricanes in five.
Penguins over Capitals (PS - Pens-Caps!) in seven.
Red Wings over Ducks in five.
Canucks over Blackhawks in seven.
I'll be rooting against the Red Wings and for my boy Patrick Kane and the Blackhawks in the West. I don't see anyone beating the Bruins and everyone wins with the Sid-Ovie series in the East.
- It's hard to believe the depth we're developing at WR and TE. (Tech Superfans)
- Even one of the hardest of hearts thinks the O will be good. (Beer Control Offense)
- Tyrod tells Randy King he isn't injury prone. (Roanoke Times)
- "Life is coal-powered." (College Game Balls)
ACC and Opponents
- One Nebraska blog realizes our dream. (Double Extra Point)
- Why Alabama's defense is to be feared. (Roll Bama Roll)
- The Tide are replacing 3 O-linemen. (Bama Sports Report)
- The ACC should help keep UGa out of The ATL. (The Legacyx4)
- Maybe Kevin Ogletree should have stayed in school. (From Old Virginia)
- Brian survived Vegas. No word on Jeff. I'm sure Mrs. Jeff killed him for not checking in every half hour. (BC Interruption)
Stuff Only I Cared About
- My conspiracy theory is Bettman had Brodeur drugged to make sure Caps-Pens happened in the 2nd round. (Buzz Blog)
- Ovechkin vs. Crosby. Watch or die. (Puck Daddy)
- I just ordered Center Ice again for next year. (Die by the Blade)
- Amalie Benjamin (who I love and in a heartbeat would give up my hard-drinking, road-tripping bachelor ways for) discusses why we might need to be concerned about Papelbon. (Globe)
- Our hero is even better than imagined. (The Lost Ogle)