More scary off-field news involving a beastly ACC linebacker. NC State linebacker Nate Irving, destroyer of running backs and devourer of souls, was involved in a single car accident over the weekend that left him with a broken leg and collapsed lung. Reading the statements from the police in the press, it looks like he fell asleep at the wheel sometime around 4:40 a.m. Sunday morning and ran off the road.
Irving had successful surgery yesterday and is expected to make a full recovery. However, his status for the upcoming season won't be known for a while. Also no word on if Orson will assess Fulmer Cup points for the careless and reckless driving citations.
Irving's accident comes a little over the month after BC linebacker Mark Herzlich was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma. Herzlich, the league's defensive player of the year in 2008, will miss the 2009 season and now Irving's campaign is in jeopardy. If Irving misses the season, the ACC will sadly be bereft of savage linebackers this year. StateFans Nation doubts we'll see him this fall.
Here's wishing Irving a speedy recovery.
Act One: Brendan at From Old Virginia uses the word draconian in his post on the prospect of Florida State vacating wins. In summation, Brendan feels vacating wins is a stupid punishment that won't stop future transgressions. He feels the 'Noles should drop their appeal, take the vacated wins and be happy they didn't lose any scollies. But, because Saint Bobby is an egotistical ass hole, he's going to fight for his wins to stay close to Joe Paterno for the record.
Act Two: NoleCC at Scalp 'Em agrees that the 'Noles should abandon their appeal, but has a few unkind words for Brendan. In summation, Hoo fans need to STFU because they're the doormat of the league and their holier-than-thou stance has no place in big time calllage footbawl.
Act Three: Brendan takes the high road (sort of). But does it in that condescending Hoo way that they're indoctrinated with.
Act Four? Stay tuned.
- Our linebackers are young and fast. (Annette)
- More commits may be coming soon. (Tech Super Fans)
- Ranking the players most important to the offense. (VT Fan)
- David Wilson ran all over the frogs. (Akron Beacon Journal)
ACC and Opponents
- Bama's D as only Smart Football can assess it. (Smart Football)
- Everything you want to know about FSU's NCAA violations. (Tomahawk Nation)
- This is why you're the Pacers. Worst pick of the draft. (Tar Heel Fan)
- Brian and Jeff take time off from going to see The Proposal to argue about QBs. (BC Interruption)
- Excellent post on defending the flexbone and how it all went terribly wrong for UGa. (The Birddog via Winfield)
Stuff Only I Care About
- No more wacky Paul Maguire stunts duing games. (Awful Announcing)
- We're getting back to our Hardest Working Team in Hockey roots. (Die by the Blade)
- Free agency starts July 1. (From the Rink)
- Casey's impressive trip comes to an end. (NewsOK)