Glenn over at VT Fan has put together a ranking of the Hokies' position units going into the 2009 season. It's worth reading because it shows an interesting reverse in thinking among at least one Hokie fan. The top three units in Glenn's rankings are on the offensive side of the ball - wide receivers, running backs and offensive line.
That's stunning to me. Not because I think Glenn is wrong (even though I think he's wrong), but because the national perception is our offense has nothing to offer when compared to the defense. Obviously, it's because of our abysmal national ranking in total offense the last three years. But the talent is there this year and for the first time in a while, our offense is more talented than our defense.
The only thing I find wrong with Glenn's rankings is having the receivers at No. 1. Sure, they got better the last few games of the year, but they aren't nearly good enough to make them the strongest position unit we have. Personally, I'd put them fourth behind the running backs, offensive line and secondary.
However, it looks like while the national perception continues to be that the defense is far ahead of the offense, Hokie fans think otherwise.
- EBJ wonders how far the Hokies are from running the spread. (Beer Control Offense)
- You may have heard one of our ex-quarterbacks is no longer under house arrest. (Joe Ovies)
- West Liberty gets more of our sloppy seconds. (Tech Super Fans)
ACC and Opponents
- Brian and Jeff take time off from going to Whole Foods to be angry at Andre Ware. (BC Interruption)
- Brendan tears down the notion GT will win at UVa, FJM style. (From Old Virginia)
- I am posting this link for the sweet photo of Georgia Tech's 60s style uniforms. (The Legacyx4)
- CJ Spiller's Heisman campaign is coming to a Bi-Lo near you. (Block-C)
- Frankie explains the spread elements of his offense. (Annette)
- A stadium's toughness can't be defined by winning percentage. (StateFans Nation)
- The walk-on tradition at Nebraska. (Huskers Extra)
- Who will back up Chris Turner? (Testudo Times)
Stuff Only I Care About
- Amalie Benjamin (who I love and in a heartbeat would give up my hard-drinking, road-tripping bachelor ways for) on John Smoltz's bad inning in Arlington. I was at that game and was sitting in the upper deck, right above where the road writers sit in the Rangers press box. So I was probably 30 feet or so from Amalie. That probably violates my restraining order. Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone. (Boston Globe)
- Why aren't the 1999 Virginia Tech Hokies on this list? (Orland Kurtenblog)
- Erin Andrews naked? Erin Andrews naked. Erin Andrews naked! (Awful Announcing)
- The NHLPA is trying to ruin the Olympics. (Puck Daddy)