The powers players in the ACC will meet in Greensboro, NC, for the annual ACC Football Kickoff this Sunday and Monday. The head coach and two players from each team will meet with the media along with commissioner John Swofford and coordinator of officials Doug Rhodes.
Every media session will be streamed live on the ACC's Web site so if you're like me and don't have a press pass for media days, you can still drink heavily and pretend like you're there. I won't be there because I live 1,000 miles away and because I would make a mockery of the proceedings.
But in the spirit of Doug's post from Thursday, here are some of things I want someone who will be there to ask:
For David Cutcliffe: What effect will the loss of Elliot Williams have on your team this season?
For John Swofford: Does Mike Slive give you a nice, shiny half-dollar after you squeegie his windshield each morning?
For Riley Skinner: Are you a virgin?
For Frank Beamer: What sort of horrible things are you doing in the photos Bryan Stinespring must have of you?
Media Days on Twitter
Follow these guys to get updates from Greensboro.
@theACC - The conference's official feed.
@theACCfootball - The official football feed for the conference.
@ACCGridiron - Michael Kelly, associate commissioner for football.
@ACCSports - Jim Young, ACC Sports Journal.
@850thebuzz - Sports talk radio out of Raleigh.
@MrCFB - The one and only Tony Barnhart from the AJC.
@macontechtalk - Coley Harvey, Macon Telegraph.
@schadjoe - Joe Schad from ESPN.
@ACCwriter - Annette from ESPN.
Tech Up to 17 Commitments for 2010
The Hokies have received commitments from two more recruits for their 2010 class. Wide receiver E.L. Smiling from Brooke Point HS in Stafford, Va., and linebacker Chase Williams from Loudon Country HS in Leesburg, Va., have pledged VPI.
Virginia Tech was the only offer for Smiling, who had 27 catches his junior year. Williams chose the Hokies over Miami and West Virginia and was the No. 10 linebacker prospect in the country according to Rivals.
Running Back U.
ACCSJ has a good story on the tailback tradition at Tech. Freshman Ryan Williams and sophomore Darren Evans are merely continuing what was started by Lee Suggs and Kevin Jones in the early part of this decade. The story even carries it back to the early '80s.
It mentions several possibilties on how to use Williams and Evans this coming season, including putting both in the backfield at the same time:
Yet if the 2009 Tech offense is destined to include more shotgun formations and resemble something closer to a spread attack, it stands to reason that the coaching staff at least could be rolling around the possibility of putting Evans, Williams and quarterback Tyrod Taylor in the same backfield.
Skipper on TV
Virginia Tech's cannon, Skipper, will be featured on the next episode of Raycom's Football Saturdays in the South. The program is aired on several local TV stations throughout the southeast. Click here to see when and where you can see it.
The same program had an excellent feature on The Ramblin' Reck, Winfield and nerds last week. If you get a chance, check it out to see a great piece of Hokie football tradition.
- It should say "NEBOWNS" above Colorado. (College Game Balls)
- EBJ continues his ultimate ACC tailgate road trip. (Beer Control Offense)
- "Bruce Pearl is a dirty old man. I can respect him for this." (The North End Zone)
- Check out the new player profiles at the official site. In-depth GBG and split stats. (Hokie Sports)
- Giggity writes the hoops team can't do much better than 7 ACC wins next year. (ACC Now)
- Former Hokies Bryan Randall and Ike Charlton of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Willie Pile of the Toronto Argonauts will square off tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. EDT. The game can be seen on several regional sports networks, including CSS and CSN MA. Click here for to see if it's available in your area. (CFL)
ACC and Opponents
- Nate Irving could miss the entire 2009 season. (ACC Now)
- Hurricanes again have depth at key positions, including WR. (All Canes)
- Maybe Brendan's opinion would be different if neutral sites actually wanted UVa. (From Old Virginia)
Stuff Only I Care About
- This is what perfection looks like. (MLB)
- Eddie Shore, a blizzard, a limo and a team of horses. (Kurtenblog)
- The OKC Thunder want YOU to pick the next member of their dance team. (The Lost Ogle)
- These guys take their cribbage very, very seriously. (NewsOK)