Liz Condo-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
The Hokies take to the road again this week, this time the destination Chapel Hill, Nc. A place that has been kind to them since Virginia Tech joined the ACC in 2004. The Hokies have won all four of their games in Kenan Stadium during that time span, and have only lost once to the Heels as an ACC member (at home in 2009). In fact, the last time the Hokies lost at North Carolina was in 1938. So history is on the Hokies side. But will that be enough?
Virginia Tech Hokies (3-2, 1-0) vs. North Carolina Tar Heels (3-2, 0-1)
Virginia Tech Offense vs. North Carolina Defense
- As I said in the Game Guide:
- Defensively the Tar Heels run a 4-2-5 scheme.
- Defensively, the Tar Heels rank No. 16 nationally in total yardage, giving up 296 yards per game. They are also No. 19 in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 14.6 points per game.
- The Tar Heels rank No. 38 nationally in total defense. They rank No. 16 nationally in rushing defense, allowing just under 96 yards per game and No. 33 in passing defense, giving up 200 yards per game.
- The Hokies are ranked No. 85 nationally in total offense, RISING five spots after the Cincinnati game with an average of 373 yards per game.
- Tech also rose three spots in rushing offense to get to No. 77 nationally with just under 150 yards per game.
- The Hokies also rose two spots in passing offense, now ranking tied for No. 71 with just under 224 yards per game.
- Tech also rose two spots in time of possession, and is now No. 100 nationally. YAY! LET'S CELEBRATE!
Virginia Tech Defense vs. North Carolina Offense
As I said in the Game Guide:
- The Tar Heels run a spread offense.
- North Carolina ranks No. 32 nationally in total offense with over 477 yards per game.
- The Tar Heels rank No. 23 in passing offense with nearly 305 yards per game and also rank No. 21 nationally in pass efficiency, where they sport a 158.72 passer rating as a team.
- The Tar Heels rank No. 53 on the ground with nearly 173 yards per game.
- Bud Foster's defense is now ranked No. 53 in the nation, allowing over 361 yards per game to their opponents. That ranking represents a fall of 21 spots in the rankings.
- Tech is now No. 75 nationally in rushing defense (15 spots higher than a week ago), giving up 168 yards per game on the ground.
- The Hokies fell 20 spots from a week ago and now rank No. 29 nationally against the pass, giving up 193 passing yards a game.
Watch the Box Score
- Virginia Tech 3rd down conversion %
- Bryn Renner completion %
- North Carolina yards after contact (which is really not in the box score, but you can find it on the internet)
- North Carolina/Virginia Tech time of possession
Virginia Tech Players to Watch
North Carolina Players to Watch
North Carolina 28, Virginia Tech 24