Bob DeChiara-US PRESSWIRE
Virginia Tech Hokies (4-5, 2-3) vs. Boston College Eagles (2-8, 1-5)
Virginia Tech Offense vs. Boston College Defense
- As I said in the Game Guide:
- On defense, Boston College runs a 4-3 scheme.
- The Eagles rank No. 107 nationally in total defense, giving up 470 yards per game. They are also No. 77 in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 29.9 points per game to their opponents.
- The Eagles also rank No. 116 nationally in rushing defense, giving up over 228 yards per game on the ground, and No. 69 nationally in passing defense, giving up just under 242 yards per game.
- The Hokies stayed at No. 65 nationally in total offense after the loss to Florida State, with an average of 400 yards per game.
- Tech fell nine spots in rushing offense after losing to Florida State, and is now ranked No. 69 nationally with 156.5 yards per game.
- The Hokies stayed at No. 55 passing offense, although they raised their average by six yards per game, now at 243 yards per game.
- Tech also rose five spots in time of possession, and is now tied at an unimpressive No. 68 nationally.
- The Hokies fell two spots after the loss to FSU, and are now tied with N.C. State for the No. 71 scoring offense in the nation, averaging 26.6 points per game.
- The Hokies are also now tied with four other teams for No. 93 in the nation in turnover margin at -.6 per game
- Tech is also tied for No. 37 in the nation in red zone offense at 84%, however, the Hokies have only scored touchdowns on 17 of their 32 red zone possessions, or just over half.
Virginia Tech Defense vs. Boston College Offense
As I said in the Game Guide:
- Offensively, the Eagles run multiple offensive formations.
- Boston College ranks No. 95 nationally in total offense with just under 358 yards per game.
- The Eagles rank No. 32 in the nation in passing offense with 285.5 yards per game.
- The Eagles are No. 118 nationally in rushing offense, with 72.5 yards per game. Yes, that number is correct.
- Boston College is led by junior quarterback Chase Rettig, who has thrown for 2,808 yards and 16 touchdowns to only 9 interceptions while completing 57 percent of his passes.
- The Eagles are led in receiving by Alex Amidon, who has 1157 yards and 6 TD's.
- The Hokies defense rose two spots after the Florida State loss, and is now the No. 38 total defense nationally, allowing 362 yards per game. It says something that the defense keeps rising and yet the team keeps losing.
- Tech is now No. 46 nationally in rushing defense, up 24 spots after their dominating performance against Florida State in which they allowed -15 rushing yards. The Hokies are giving up just under 148 yards per game on the ground.
- The Hokies fell 12 spots after losing to FSU, and now rank No. 43 nationally against the pass, giving up 214 passing yards a game.
- The Hokies fell 18 spots, and into a tie for No. 40 with the vaunted defensive line of FSU (though the way they got there isn't as impressive). They're now at 2.3 sacks per game.
Watch the Box Score
- The turnover battle
- Chase Rettig passing yards
- Virginia Tech sacks
- Virginia Tech red zone touchdown %
Virginia Tech Players to Watch
Boston College Players to Watch
Virginia Tech 28, Boston College 17