Virginia Tech Hokies (4-4, 2-2) vs. Florida State Seminoles (8-1, 5-1)
Virginia Tech Offense vs. Florida State Defense
- As I said in the Game Guide:
- Offensively, the Seminoles run multiple offensive formations, mostly Shotgun, I-formation and Pistol looks.
- Florida State ranks No. 7 nationally in total offense with just under 525 yards per game.
- The Seminoles rank No. 26 in the nation in passing offense with 290 yards per game.
- The Seminoles are No. 14 nationally in rushing offense, with just under 235 yards per game.
- Florida State is led by their outstanding senior quarterback E.J. Manuel, who has thrown for 2,315 yards and 16 touchdowns to only 4 interceptions while completing 70 percent of his passes.
- The Seminoles like to spread the ball around in the passing game, as six receivers on their roster have at least 235 yards.
- The Hokies are ranked No. 65 nationally in total offense, with an average of 401 yards per game, falling one spot after the Miami game.
- Tech rose 10 spots in rushing offense to get to No. 60 nationally at 164 yards per game.
- The Hokies fell one spot to No. 55 passing offense, lowering their average by five more yards, now at 237 yards per game.
- Tech also rose eight spots in time of possession, and is now for No. 73 nationally.
- The Hokies are now the No. 69 scoring offense in the nation, averaging 27 points per game.
- The Hokies are tied for No. 91 in the nation in turnover margin at -.56 per game
- Tech is also No. 53 in the nation (higher than I expected) in red zone offense at 82%, however, the Hokies have only scored touchdowns on 15 of their 28 red zone possessions, or just over half.
Virginia Tech Defense vs. Florida State Offense
As I said in the Game Guide:
- On defense, Florida State runs a 4-3 scheme.
- The Seminoles rank No. 1 nationally in total defense, giving up just over 227 yards per game. They are also No. 3 in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 12 points per game to their opponents. Both of those rankings are the highest for a team the Hokies will face this year.
- The Seminoles also rank No. 3 nationally in rushing defense, giving up just under 73 yards per game on the ground, and No. 4 nationally in passing defense, giving up just 154 yards per game.
- The Hokies defense rose nine spots after the Miami game, and is now the No. 40 total defense nationally, allowing just under 368 yards per game. It says something that the defense keeps rising and yet the team keeps losing.
- Tech is now No. 70 nationally in rushing defense, falling a spot after facing Miami. The Hokies are giving up 166 yards per game on the ground.
- The Hokies rose three spots after facing Miami, and now rank No. 31 nationally against the pass, giving up nearly 202 passing yards a game.
- The Hokies fell 15 spots to No. 58 after no sacks in the Miami game. They're now at exactly 2 sacks per game, far from what was imagined at the beginning of the season.
Watch the Box Score
- The turnover battle
- E.J. Manuel completion %
- Florida State rushing yards
- Virginia Tech 3rd down conversion %
Virginia Tech Players to Watch
Florida State Players to Watch
Florida State 48, Virginia Tech 14