We saw a lot of points this week for a league that has a reputation for being defensive minded.
Week 6 ACC Power Poll
1. Virginia Tech
3. Georgia Tech
4. Wake Forest
5. Boston College
6. North Carolina
10. Florida State
11. NC State
Week 6 Results
Virginia Tech 48, Boston College 14
Virginia 47, Indiana 7
North Carolina 42, Georgia Southern 12
Duke 49, NC State 28
Wake Forest 42, Maryland 32
Miami 48, Florida A&M 16
Georgia Tech 49, Florida State 44
Week 7 Schedule
All Times Eastern
Wake Forest at Clemson, Noon, Raycom, DTV TBA
NC State at Boston College, 3:30, ABC/ESPN Reverse Mirror
Virginia at Maryland, 4:00, ESPNU, DTV 614
Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech, 6:00, ESPN2, DTV 209
Miami at Central Florida, 7:30, CBSCS, DTV 613
- Duke, Virginia and Wake Forest all had convincing victories, with Duke's coming on ... the ... road? If the Fighting Cutcliffes want to be bowl eligible, they better win two of three against UMd, UVa and UNC because their last three games will be pretty rough. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could see a Duke-Army rematch in the Congressional Bowl. Doesn't that bowl matchup sound sexy?
- The winner of the Virginia Tech-Georgia Tech game will be bowl eligible.
- Georgia Tech's offense is finally rolling. However, its defense looks like it's regressing. I fully expect that second trend to reverse this weekend against the Hokies. The Jacket D will be ready.
- How in God's name did Maryland beat Clemson? The Terps are just awful right now.
- The two intradivision Atlantic games next week will tell us a lot about that division.
- The Hokies played a near perfect game against BC. But we can't expect them to play like that every week. We're a good team and our next loss (and there will be a next loss this year) won't validate any pundits that say we're overrated or mean the Hokies aren't a good team. It'll just mean we got beat like every other team out there. My guess is we'll still finish the regular season 10-2.
- And don't look at the score from Saturday and think BC's done. The Eagles can still easily win the Atlantic by beating other teams in their division. As the Hokies have learned the last two years, losses to teams from the other division don't sink your Orange Bowl hopes.
- If Clemson beats Wake next week, we're going to have a massive cluster in the Atlantic. Same in the Coastal if Georgia Tech beats the Hokies. So if you're a fan of chaos, and I typically am, you're rooting for the Tigers and Jackets.
- The O'Brien Bowl is pretty much an elimination game in the Atlantic. Three conference losses this early on is tough to bounce back from.