College Game Balls sent me a link to Andrew Carter's story in today's Orlando Sentinel about ACC division realignment. Basically, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
But the call for realignment has gone from pure message board speculation to lobbying from the president of FSU's booster club, Andy Miller. He sent an E-mail to FSU athletic director Randy Spetman encouraging him to push of realignment of the conference's football divisions:
"Please do what you can to realign the conference," Miller wrote in the e-mail, obtained recently by the Sentinel through a public records request. "Put Georgia Tech in [the Atlantic] Division. Give them Maryland."
Swapping Georgia Tech for Maryland would move the conference closer toward a true North-South alignment, which many people including myself would like to see. However, it would still leave BC in the Atlantic and put the Eagles even farther from their closest division rival.
However, the ACC's football potentate, Mike Kelly, told Carter the league is not looking at realignment during its meetings this week and they wouldn't be possible until after the 2015 season. Of course, that's all bullcrap.
Just because the ACC has drawn up potential schedules for the 2015 season doesn't by law keep them from changing its mind. Just last week the ACC used the economy as an excuse for moving its baseball tournament from Boston to Greensboro next year. Seems to me like the conference is being really selective on what can and can't be changed to cut costs.
And as long as we're on the subject of bullcrap and ACC changes, Winfield from The Legacyx4 sent me a rumor yesterday that Texas and Texas A&M had looked at moving to the ACC because of the Big 12's tiebreaker rule. Not only is that not going to happen, but it's not going to happen.
I can't even find a credible news source that mentions it in passing. 'Field points to this message board post that includes a phony CBS Sports story. I can't find anything resembling that wire report on CBS or anywhere.
And if you read Block-C enough you know that if it's on TardNet it can't possibly be true in this or any other dimension.
- Chaney's style didn't fit at Florida. (Tech Sideline)
- Thorns desired a bigger role that wasn't going to happen at VT. (Tech Hoops)
- Another blogger excited about Chaney. (Beer Control Offense)
- Crying about having great seats won't win many fans. (The North End Zone)
ACC and Opponents
- Why are people complaining about Mobile when it's replacing Boise? (Eagle in ATL)
- Brian and Jeff view the Mobile Bowl as just another bowl that doesn't want BC. Jeff would have contributed more to the post, but was told by Mrs. Jeff to go to Walgreen's to buy tampoons. Embarrassed, Jeff bought nine other items, including a $3 Clemson hat, in order to save face with the cashier. However, when he got home he was informed he had bought the wrong brand of tampoons and was forced to return to Walgreen's. (BC Interruption)
- As with almost every Barnhart post on the ACC, the most interesting part is the SEC morons who troll the comments. (Mr. College Football)
- Maroon vs. Blue in the Commonwealth Cup? (Annette)
- Joe and Adam interview Russell Wilson. (Buzz Blog)
- Coastal commitments. (ACCSJ)
Stuff Only I Care About
- Trashy Tulsans get advise. (The Lost Ogle)
- Good riddance, Max. (Die by the Blade)
- I'm already eagerly anticipating Game 7. (Japers Rink)
- MLB might suspended a guy for intentionally not hitting a batter in the ass. (Bootlegger Sports)
- When Korn visits a ballpark. (Power Allie)
I think I just set the record for most links in one blog post. Sorry. If any of you actually visit all those links above, you get a free cookie*.
* - Offer not redeemable anywhere ever.