Former Hokie softball pitcher Angela Tincher is currently taking part in the USA Softball team's selection camp in Chula Vista, Calif. Tincher is trying to land a spot on one of two teams that will compete this summer. Rosters for the national team and elite team will be selected after the camp concludes on June 12.
If Tincher makes the cut for the national team, she would compete in the Canada Cup and World Cup in July. An elite team spot would give her the opportunity to play with members of the national team at the Japan Cup and the qualifier for the Pan-Am Games in July and August. The World Cup will be held here in Oklahoma City July 16-20.
Tincher was not selected for the Olympic team that won Silver in Beijing last year. It was the same Olympic team she no-hit in May of last year.
Tincher is one of 41 players trying out for the two teams, which will be selected by a committee of 14 coaches. She is one of eight players from East of the Mississippi participating in the camp.
Links after the jump.
Weaver's Going to Bethpage
Former Hokie golfer Drew Weaver has qualified for this year's US Open. Weaver survived a playoff at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Md. (home of O.A.R.), for next week's Open at Bethpage Black in New York.
His accomplishment also qualifies him for the U.S. Amateur in Tulsa Aug. 24-30.
Weaver exhausted his eligibility for the Hokies after this past season. He was the 2007 British Amateur champion and competed in the 2007 British Open and 2008 Masters.
Recruiting Update from ACCSJ
The ACC Sports Journal has an interview up with TechSideline's Chris Horne. Horne is the Virginia recruiting guru responsible for updating TSL and Sabre subscribers on the Hokies and Hoos.
Horne identifies defensive tackle Derrick Hopkins as a sleeper in the 2010 recruiting class.
Derrick Hopkins, a defensive tackle out of Highland Springs (VA), doesn’t have great height but is a very quick defensive tackle prospect. He has been productive throughout his high school career and is a real sleeper in my opinion. I also like what I have seen from Virginia Tech’s two quarterback recruits, especially Florida prep quarterback Mark Leal. But in terms of getting quality but perhaps not highly ranked players to fit Bud Foster’s defensive system, I look to Derrick Hopkins in the early going.
- It's family tradition at Tech. (Beer Control Offense)
- The Hokies will play in The Palestra next year. Road trip? (Roth Report)
- More on the Big Ten, expansion and Notre Dame. (The A-Line)
ACC and Opponents
- Tomorrow's judgment day for Bama. (Rap Sheet)
- Happy Birthday to Brendan's blog. (From Old Virginia)
- Everything you could possibly want to know about zone blocking. (Tomahawk Nation)
- More on BC's new quarterback. (Eagle in ATL)
- GT's coming to Big 12 country next year. Road trip? (The Legacyx4)
Stuff Only I Care About
- I leave, Jessica
Beal Alba arrives. C'est la vie. (The Lost Ogle)
- I'm already (giddy) for Game 7. (From the Rink)
- Amalie Benjamin (who I love and in a heartbeat would give up by hard-drinking, road-tripping bachelor ways for) on a great night to be a Sox fan. (Globe)
- "Craig Rivet is my main mother fucker!" - a very drunken me after I thought Craig Rivet scored with 4 seconds left to force OT against San Jose in February. The goal was later given to Jason Pominville off the deflection. Buffalo won in a shootout after giving up a three-goal lead. (Die by the Blade)