Virginia Tech Hokies (5-5, 3-3) vs. Virginia Cavaliers (4-7, 2-5)
Virginia Tech Offense vs. Virginia Defense
As I said in the Game Guide:
- Offensively, the Cavaliers run a Pro-Style offense.
- Virginia ranks No. 56 nationally in total offense with just under 413 yards per game.
- The Cavaliers rank No. 36 in the nation in passing offense with just over 275 yards per game.
- The Cavaliers are No. 89 nationally in rushing offense, with 137 and change yards per game.
- Virginia is led by quarterbacks Michael Rocco and Phillip Sims. Rocco has thrown for 1,740 yards and 12 touchdowns and 9 interceptions while completing 62 percent of his passes, while Sims has thrown for 1,253 yards and 9 touchdowns and 4 interceptions, completing 57 percent of his passes.
- The Hokies rose two spots, and now sit at No. 63 nationally in total offense after the win over Boston College, with an average of 400 yards per game.
- Tech fell two spots in rushing offense after beating Boston College, and is now ranked No. 71 nationally with 156 yards per game.
- The Hokies fell one spot to No. 56 passing offense. They raised their average to just under 244 yards per game.
- Tech stayed at No. 68 nationally, and is now tied with two other schools.
- The Hokies fell four spots after the Boston College game, and are now the No. 75 scoring offense in the nation, averaging just under 27 points per game.
- The Hokies are also now tied for No. 9o in the nation in turnover margin at -.45 per game
- Tech is the No. 30 in the nation in red zone offense at 86%, however, the Hokies have only scored touchdowns on 19 of their 36 red zone possessions, or just over half.
Virginia Tech Defense vs. Virginia Offense
As I said in the Game Guide:
- On defense, Virginia runs a 4-3 scheme.
- The Cavaliers rank No. 34 nationally in total defense, giving up just under 358 yards per game. They are also tied for No. 80 in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 30 points per game to their opponents.
- The Cavaliers also rank No. 41 nationally in rushing defense, giving up over 142 yards per game on the ground, and No. 38 nationally in passing defense, giving up nearly 216 yards per game.
- The Hokies defense rose five spots after the Boston College win, and is now the No. 33 total defense nationally, allowing 356 yards per game.
- Tech is now No. 48 nationally in rushing defense, down two spots after their dominating performance against Boston College. The Hokies are giving up just under 150 yards per game on the ground.
- The Hokies rose nine spots after playing Boston College, and now rank No. 34 nationally against the pass, giving up 206.5 passing yards a game.
- The Hokies rose 21 spots, and into a tie for No. 19 nationally. They're now at 2.73 sacks per game.
Watch the Box Score
Virginia Tech Players to Watch
Virginia Players to Watch
Virginia Tech 27, Virginia 21