The Hokies travel to Pittsburgh for an ACC Coastal clash airing at 7:30 p.m. EST on ESPN. If you aren't in front of the TV the game will also be available on WatchESPN for eligible subscribers.
Virginia Tech Game Notes:
- This will be the 14th meeting between Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh. The Hokies hold an 8-5 lead in the series with Pitt winning four of the last five. The series began in 1993 when both schools were members of the Big East conference.
- This marks the Hokies' 28th appearance on ESPN's Thursday Night Football. Tech has a 20-7 overall record in those games including a 9-3 mark in road games.
- The Hokies have not won in the program's three previous trips. Overall in Pittsburgh Tech has posted a 5-5 record.
- Tech won the only ACC football game between the schools with a 19-9 victory last season in Blacksburg.
- The Hokies are 66-34-5 overall in games played on Thursday in the program's history. From 1913-1969 Tech played VMI every season but two in the "Military Classic of the South". The game was traditionally played Thanksgiving afternoon at Victory Stadium in Roanoke, Va.
- Despite having 10 days off to rest and prepare, Tech enters the game with serious injury issues with star tailback Shai McKenzie and Marshawn Williams both out along with defensive tackle Luther Maddy among others. During the week McKenzie underwent successful surgery to repair a torn ACL.
- 145 of Tech's 183 total points have been scored by freshman. Isaiah Ford, Bucky Hodges and Cam Phillips have combined for nine of the Hokies' 10 touchdown catches with Hodges scoring in five of Tech's six games.
Pittsburgh Game Notes:
Fast start, Tough slide
- After winning the first three games of the season, Pittsburgh has dropped three straight to Iowa, Akron and Virginia.
Old vs. New
- While Frank Beamer is the winningest active coach in FBS, Paul Chryst is in his third season as a head coach. Chryst has posted a 16-16 record to this point with a 1-1 mark against Virginia Tech.
- Standout Pitt tailback James Conner has said he'll play some snaps on defense against the Hokies. Look for him to possibly get a handful of plays at defensive end. Paul Chryst said, "You know, we'll see if it happens."
It should be an interesting game tonight. Give us your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to drop by to chat during the game.