As the days of former Director of Athletics Jim Weaver's 16 year tenure dwindled down, an aura of angst and excitement enveloped the Hokie Nation. Many, including myself had grave and somewhat pessimistic concerns that the Virginia Tech AD search committee would not make a thorough enough search and give this hiring its due diligence. I'm happy to admit I was sorely wrong.
Enter new Hokies AD Whit Babcock. Let me give you a quick recap on Mr. Babcock's background:
- A native of Harrisonburg, VA
- Played baseball for James Madison University (lettered 4 seasons, team captain his senior year)
- Earned his bachelor's from JMU in 1992, master's in sports management in 1996 from WVU
- 20 years of experience in various administrative roles at JMU, WVU and Auburn
- Executive Associate Director of Athletics at Missouri 2006-2011
- Director of Athletics at University of Cincinnati from 2011-2014
There you have it, folks. Mr. Babcock is fully aware that he's going to have to make this decision in the not too distant future. Don't be fooled, this isn't going to be automatically handed over to Coach Bud Foster as many think is going to happen. No, this isn't going to be a Jim Weaver - walk down the hall and hire Dennis Wolff (women's basketball coaching hire), but it's probably going to be more like the one in which he was hired: a big pool of talented and diverse candidates where he will perform his due diligence and make the best move for the university moving forward.