It was another tough week for the Virginia Tech programs as the ACC continues to live up its reputation. Now with just weeks left in the regular season the Hokie Men are in need of a quick turnaround to rescue NCAA hopes, while the Women’s team falls out of the top 25 rankings for the first time this season. Both clubs get the chances to right the ship this coming Friday with a double-header as part of the weekend’s Homecoming festivities.
- Current Record: 9W-3L-2D overall. 1W-3L-2D in the ACC.
- Last Week’s Results: The Hokies started the week with a 3-2 loss to #5 in the nation, Florida State. VT will be disappointed in missing out on a key result having taken the lead in the 10th minute and then giving up the final goal of the match in the 106th minute. The team then traveled down to Raleigh for the weekend to earn a 1-1 draw. It was the first time the Hokies picked up a point on the road this season.
No. 20 Tech and NC State play to a 1-1 draw | The #Hokies ⚽️ get a crucial point on the road in the ACC contest.— Virginia Tech Women's Soccer (@HokiesWSoccer) October 14, 2019
- Ranking: Unranked. However, the Hokies received 60 votes and were the top team sitting outside the rankings.
- ACC Standings: 9th place in the table with five points.
- Team Leaders: Goals - Nicole Kozlova (5) & Emily Gray (4); Assists - Emmalee McCarter (4) & Molly Feighan (3); Shutouts - Mandy McGlynn (8).
- Upcoming Matches This Week: Just one match this week, which shapes up as a must win. As the second part of the double-header at Thompson Field, the Hokies host Wake Forest at 8 pm ET on Friday (ACC Network). The Demon Deacons are in last place in the ACC and are coming off a 3-3 draw with Boston College.
- Current Record: 6W-3L-2D overall. 0W-3L-2D in the ACC.
- Last Week’s Results: It was a 3-1 loss on the road against Pittsburgh in the Hokies only match this week. Virginia Tech are now the only team in the ACC without a league win and have seen their early season ranking completely fall away. With just five matches left in the season, VT will need several wins and a strong ACC tournament to hope for a spot in the NCAA tournament. A home victory against UVA on 10/25 would go a long ways toward that goal.
- Ranking: Unranked (received two votes).
- ACC Standings: Last place in the Coastal Division with just two points.
We have another @ACCMSoccer opponent coming to Blacksburg Friday— Virginia Tech Men’s Soccer (@HokiesMSoccer) October 14, 2019
Kickoff at 5:30 p.m. on @accnetwork #Hokies ⚽️ pic.twitter.com/sqSiM6cgfS
- Team Leaders: Goals - Kristo Strickler (8) & Jon Ingason (3); Assists - Nick Blacklock (5) & James Kasak (4); Shutouts - Mathijs Swaneveld (3).
- Upcoming Matches This Week: Virginia Tech is hosting a double-header with the Men’s and Women’s programs. The men open the Friday (10/18) night event against Notre Dame at 5:30 pm ET (ACC Network). The Fighting Irish are just above the Hokies in the ACC standings and likely represent VT’s most winnable match of the remaining schedule. However, Notre Dame is coming off their first ACC win of the year, beating Duke 1-0.