Welcome to the first (official) Weekly Hokies Soccer Roundup, where each week we’ll give a snapshot of both Virginia Tech programs. A rundown of their records, recent results, rankings, standings in the ACC, key stat leaders, and upcoming matches.
The Women’s team remain undefeated after a strong home win to open ACC play, but face a daunting set of road matches in the week ahead. Mandy McGlynn, who regularly gets called into the US Women’s Youth National Team camps, had her 29th career shutout against Miami, tying the school record. Whether she stays in Blacksburg for her senior year or not, McGlynn has an excellent chance of playing at the next level.
- Current Record: 9-0 (1-0 in ACC)
- Last Week’s Results: 2-0 win over Miami to begin ACC play. The Hokies hit the back of the net early with a goal by Emily Gray in the 8th minute and maintained control throughout, out-shooting the Hurricanes 16 to 4.
No. 18 Tech starts ACC with a 2-0 victory over Miami@emily_gray04 scores twice ( 86' insurance goal) @mandykmcglynn ties school record #Hokies remain perfect— Virginia Tech Women's Soccer (@HokiesWSoccer) September 22, 2019
- Ranking: 16th. Virginia Tech jumped two spots back to where the school was ranked two weeks ago. The Hokies are one of only two schools in the country with a perfect record. A win at UVA this week will go a long way in shifting voters opinions.
- ACC Standings: Four-way tie for first place at 1-0, with all 14 teams having opened up ACC play over the past week.
- Team Leaders: Goals - Nicole Kozlova (4) & Emily Gray (4); Assists - Emmalee McCarter (4) & Molly Feighan (3); Shutouts - Mandy McGlynn (7).
- Upcoming Matches This Week: Thursday (9/26) at Virginia - 5 pm ET on the ACC Network. UVA, who is ranked #1 in the nation, dropped their first points of the year in a draw on the road at Wake Forest this past weekend. That match is followed by a weekend trip for the Hokies down to Clemson on Sunday (9/29) - 1 pm ET on the ACC Network. The Tigers are 7-0-1 on the year and beat Notre Dame to open up league play.
- Current Record: 5-2 (0-2 in ACC)
- Last Week’s Results: The Hokies rolled past Grand Canyon University 4-0 last Tuesday at Thompson Field. After a slow start to the match, VT scored just before halftime and then twice shortly after the restart to put the game out of reach. Tech then traveled to Louisville to open their ACC season last Friday night. Kristo Strickler gave the Hokies the lead in the 36th minute, but the defense gave up two quick strikes late in the match (82nd and 85th minutes) to drop all three points. A disappointing end to what appeared to be an important road win.
- Ranking: 18th, falling one spot after their loss to Louisville.
- ACC Standings: 0-2 tied with Notre Dame and Duke at the bottom of the Coastal Division.
- Team Leaders: Goals - Kristo Strickler (5) & Jon Ingason (3); Assists - Nick Blacklock (2) & a three players tied on two; Mathijs Swaneveld has posted one shut out so far in 2019.
- Upcoming Matches This Week: Friday (9/27) hosting Boston College - 1 pm ET on the ACC Network. BC is 4-2 on the season, with both losses coming in ACC play.