1. Clemson Tigers: Clemson went about the business of beating up on an FCS squad when they beat SCST, 49-3. No surprise there. Next week the Tigers open their conference schedule hosting GT.
2. Boston College Eagles: Starting QB, Phil Jurkovec, went down with an injury early in the first half. Backup, Dennis Grosel, filled in nicely passing for one TD and running for another. Next up BC faces the Temple Owls!
3. Wake Forest Demon Deacons: WF completed their domination of Hampton Roads, beating up on Norfolk, 41-16. This weekend Wake starts up their ACC slate when they host reeling FSU.
4. NC State Wolfpack: Ugh… another loss to the SEC middle tier. Mississippi State took the lead in the first three seconds of the game when they returned the opening kickoff 100 yards for a TD. They never looked back. NCST gets an easy game when they host Furman this weekend before Clemson comes a calling.
5. Louisville Cardinals: Another FCS win… Not a sure thing apparently. Next up they face Central Florida!
6. Syracuse Orange: The Scarlet Knights escaped the Orange, 17-7, but Syracuse was in the fight until fourth quarter. Next week the Orange will likely improve to 2-1 when they host FCS squad, Albany. Unless…
7. Florida State Seminoles: Last week I was impressed with FSU taking Notre Dame to OT. But then this week the Fighting Irish barely handled Toledo, at home. Then FSU went and lost to Jacksonville State, an FCS program. FSU finds themselves dead last in the Atlantic.
1. Virginia Tech Hokies: VT looked a little flat but showed a more life in the second half. Both the offense and the defense did what they needed to do to win. This weekend the Hokies travel to Morgantown to face the West Virginia Mountaineers. If the Hokies handle their first away game of the season, I expect them to be hosting Notre Dame undefeated.
2. Miami Hurricanes: Appalachian State is a solid Group of Five team, but I thought Miami would have beat them by more than two points, 25-23. Twice App State took the lead, and it necessitated a Hurricane field goal, with only two minutes left in the game, to take the lead back and ultimately win. This weekend the Hurricanes have another big non-conference Power Five opponent. They host Michigan State, which will be televised nationally, on ABC. A big win could do a lot to steady the shaky ground they find themselves on.
3. North Carolina Tar Heels: Yep, UNC beat the snot out of Georgia State, as expected. Sam Howell looked like the Heisman hopeful he was until he came to Blacksburg, throwing for 352 yards, three TDs, rushing for 104 yards, and running for a pair of TDs. Things are much more interesting this week when the Hoos come to Chapel Hill. That game may do a lot to shape the Coastal crown picture.
4. Pittsburgh Panthers: Thank you Pitt! Thank you for finally beating a SEC squad. The Panthers defeated the Tennessee Volunteers, 41-34. Of note, former Hokie, Hendon Hooker, came in for injured Tenn QB, Joe Milton, throwing for 189 yards, two TDs, and one INT. Next up is Western Michigan.
5. Virginia Cavaliers: Hooray! Another win over a Power Five non-conference opponent. UVA devastated Illinois, 42-14! This weekend’s matchup against UNC will be the Cavaliers first big test of the season!
6. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets: GT beat an FCS team that had a win, so they get to be ahead of Duke. Life is likely going to get painful when they travel to Death Valley and open their conference slate against Clemson.
7. Duke Blue Devils: Duke got their first win of the season, but it was against an FCS squad (North Carolina A&T) without a win. So, they get to be at the bottom of the Coastal. If Duke is to nurse their hopes of a post-season bowl, they must defeat Northwestern this weekend.
1. (No. 6 AP / No. 6 Coaches) Clemson Tigers (1-1) – Static
2. (No. 15 / No. 15) Virginia Tech Hokies (2-0) – Static
3. (No. 24 / Unr.) Miami Hurricanes (1-1) – Static
4. Boston College Eagles (2-0) – Static
5. (No. 21 / No. 19) North Carolina Tar Heels (1-1) – Static
6. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (2-0) – Up One
7. Pittsburgh Panthers (2-0) – Up One
8. Virginia Cavaliers (2-0) – Up One
9. NC State Wolfpack (1-1) – Down Three
10. Louisville Cardinals (1-1) – Up Two
11. Syracuse Orange (1-1) – Static
12. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1) – Up One
13. Duke Blue Devils (1-1) – Up One
14. Florida State Seminoles (0-2) – Down Four